Records Center Storage
The Records Center is intended for the storage of College records during the inactive period of their lifecycle – when they are no longer in use in the office, but have not yet reached the end of the mandated retention period. Any Sinclair-related, non-organic, non-hazardous materials may be stored in the Records Center.
Materials that have no legal, fiscal, or administrative value will be accepted and retained on a space-available basis. If necessary, any materials not on a retention schedule or past their destruction date will have to be stored elsewhere by the department.
To store records in the Records Center it is important to follow these instructions:
- Tell the Records Manager what you plan to transfer and if you need forms, boxes, supplies, etc.
- Access the Certificate of Transfer [R3 Form] on My.Sinclair or on the Archives & Records Management LibGuide at https://libguides.sinclair.edu/archives.
- Fill out the R3 Form, which includes label templates for your boxes.
- Make a list of the contents of the box (as detailed as you need it to be to make it easy to find things later), attach one copy to the R3 Form and keep one for your files.
- Send the R3 Form via campus mail or email to the Records Manager for approval.
- Once the signed R3 form has been returned to you, prepare your materials for storage in the Records Center as follows:
- Remove all staples, metal paperclips, and rubber bands; you may replace them with plastic paperclips if necessary.
- Unfold any papers that are folded.
- Remove any duplicate copies. Space is valuable in the Records Center, so duplicate copies are only kept when the items are of great value or get heavy use.
- Use standard records center boxes ONLY, available in the Records Center.
- Place the file folders inside the box in order and with tabs all facing the same direction to make it easy to find things again later.
- Please do not include hanging file folders, or three-ring binders. Binders and hanging files damage the records and the storage boxes. Remove the contents and place them in clearly marked file folders.
- Please do not overpack the box. The lid should go down firmly.
- Please do not lay additional files on top of the packed files.
- Place one copy of the list of contents inside the box.
- Clearly label the box with all its contents. Make sure others can understand what is in the box and what department it belongs to.
- Use the labels that print out as part of the R3 document. They will fit inside the label holders on boxes.
- Contact the Records Manager or Facilities to transfer boxes to the Records Center
To use or borrow materials stored in the Records Center, contact Shelby Beatty at email@example.com or at 937-512-2319 and fill out a Request for On-Campus Reference or Loan of Records [R4 Form]. This form ensures that persons requesting access to records in the Archives & Records Center are authorized to use these records. The form also documents the reference activities pertaining to the records and allows the Records Manager to track items borrowed from storage.