Skip to Content

Flight Lab Enrollment

We are excited you are starting your training with Sinclair, MacAir Aviation, and Higher Ground Helicopters! Whether you’ll be flying airplanes or helicopters, this checklist is intended to serve as a guide as to what is required before taking flight for the first time. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Donna Hanshew (937-512-2262) or Jill Sipple (937-512-2046).

Sinclair Community College requirements

  • You must enroll with the College
    • If you are a NEW student:
    • If you have TRANSFER credits:
      • If new or transfer, you may be required to take placement testing.
      • Evaluation of General Education courses (GenEds) for transfer credit must be completed via the process detailed in the above link.
      • Evaluation of any previously-earned Aviation credits can be completed by a representative from the AVT Department.
  • Meet with an Academic Advisor (937-512-3700), who will establish your My Academic Plan (MAP).
    • If you are an EXISTING student switching programs, your Advisor is the starting point. You do not need to complete the enrollment process again.
    • You will be able to register for many courses with your Advisor’s help through the online registration portal.
    • You will not be able to register for your Private Pilot Ground School (AVT 1110 or 1111) and Flight Lab (AVT 1124 or 1126) online or through your advisor. Please see the “MacAir Aviation/Higher Ground Helicopters” section below for details.

VA/GI Bill Students

(Military Family Education Center: Building 11, Room 342, 937-512-2586; if not using VA benefits, skip to next section.)

  • General information:
  • Veterans must coordinate the use of their VA educational benefits with the Military Family Education Center (MFEC) located in Building 11, Room 342 (937-512-2586) ( Your Private Pilot courses are eligible for funding in our accredited college program.
    • Obtain and take your certificate of eligibility to MFEC.
    • Obtain and take your 2nd class FAA Medical Certificate to MFEC. This medical certificate must be dated prior to the start of the semester.
    • Upon registering for your flight lab and receiving your bursar bill, you must take it to MFEC for processing.

Financial Aid (non-VA; if using VA, skip to next section)

Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) requirements

  • You must obtain an FAA Medical Certificate.
  • You must take the Confirmation Number received at the end of the application with you to your flight physical with an FAA Aviation Medical Examiner (AME).
  • You must provide MacAir/Higher Ground a copy of your Medical before the start of the semester.

MacAir Aviation/Higher Ground Helicopters requirements

  • Prior to registering for your ground school and flight lab, it is highly recommended that you plan your semester course schedule; this will ease the process of determining which flight slot will work best with your schedule.
  • Contact Donna Hanshew (937-512-2262 / to schedule a registration session at MacAir (fixed-wing) or Higher Ground (helicopter).
  • Attend your registration session at MacAir (Greene County Airport) or Higher Ground (Dayton-Wright Brothers Airport).

    • You will receive department permission to register for your selected ground school and flight lab via a confirmation email from Jill Sipple (AVT Admin) advising you of required books and financial aid information. This will be sent to your student ( email account. Please check this email account on a regular basis, as this will be the official method of communication regarding your lab. 
    • Please allow several days for your registration to be fully processed following the registration session.