Skip to Content

Admission to Academic Program Steps - Applying from Abroad

Applying to Sinclair is easy. Please read carefully and follow these steps to ensure timely processing of your application:

Semester Deadline to Apply
Summer 2024 (starts May 13, 2024) March 08, 2024 
Fall 2024 (starts August 26, 2024) June 28, 2024
Spring 2025 (starts January 6, 2025) November 10, 2024

Step 1: Application for Admission

Complete the 'F-1 International Students' application at

The documents in the following steps need to be uploaded to your application profile before you are considered for admission.

Step 2: Official Transcripts

Successful completion of a secondary high school program is required for admission. Please upload copies of the following:

  • original transcript (record of courses/subjects and grades), and
  • verification of graduation, such as a certificate or diploma.

If these documents are not in English, please attach certified English translations. Please note that the high school or secondary education documentation is still required even if you have college or university work.

Step 3: English Proficiency

Proof of English proficiency is required for direct admission to an academic program; however, if you do not have such proof, you will first be considered for admission to English Now!, our intensive English as a Second Language (ESL) program. Upon successful completion of the ESL program, you will be admitted to your academic program of choice.

To demonstrate your English proficiency, please submit a copy of your official results from one of the following:

  • TOEFL: A minimum of IBT-61, CBT-173, or PBT-500 (Sinclair's school code is 1720)
  • IELTS: A minimum of 5.0
  • Duolingo English Test: A minimum of 90
  • ELS Center: If you have completed Level 109 at any ELS center in the U.S., you may submit your ELS transcripts and certificate of completion in place of the TOEFL or IELTS score.
  • College-level English: If you are a transfer student and have completed one full year of college-level English at a university or college in the United States with a grade of C or higher, you may submit an official transcript as proof of English proficiency.

Step 4: Passport

Please upload a copy of your passport photo/information page.

Step 5: Financial Documentation

In order to issue an I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility), Sinclair Community College is required by the U.S. government to verify that students have the financial resources to cover the costs of their program of study. Therefore, you are required to submit a copy of either a letter or statement from a bank that demonstrates a minimum of $20,000 is available to cover the costs for one academic year. Please note that this is only an estimate of costs (including tuition fees, books, and living expenses) for an academic year and individual expenses may vary.

The bank letter or bank statement must meet the following requirements:

  • Be current and no older than six months at the time of the submission of your application.
  • Be on bank letterhead.
  • Include the account holder's name.
  • Indicate the type of account (checking, savings, etc.)
  • Indicate the currency of the funds.
  • Be signed by an official of the bank (and stamped with the bank's seal, if available) - for bank letters only.
  • Be written in English or have a certified English translation attached - for bank letters only.

Sponsors: Financial documentation from a sponsor is acceptable. The sponsor must agree to financially supporting the student as part of the online application.

Dependents (spouse and children only): If you plan to travel to the U.S. with dependents, you will have to demonstrate that an additional $5,000 is available to support each dependent. You also must upload copies of their passports to your application profile.

Important: Although you only need to submit copies of your original documents to Sinclair, please retain your original documents because you will need them for your visa appointment at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate. In some cases, Customs and Border Protection officials may also request them at the port of entry when you arrive in the U.S.

For additional information or questions, email the Office of International Education at