Skip to Content

SEVIS Transfer Students

If you are currently studying in the U.S. on an ACTIVE F-1 status (including high school and English language centers), you may be eligible to transfer your SEVIS record (I-20) to Sinclair. Please follow these steps:

  1. Obtain official admission letter from Sinclair Community College. For admission requirements, please go to:
  2. Schedule an appointment with your international student advisor at your current school and show him/her your Sinclair Community College admission letter. Let your advisor know that you plan to attend Sinclair Community College for the next session and work with him/her to complete the transfer-in form and to set the transfer release date.
  3. Once your SEVIS record is transferred, Sinclair Community College will be able to issue your new I-20.
  4. Complete the SEVIS transfer process by reporting to the Office of International Education at Sinclair Community College no later than 15 days of the program start date. You must provide your local U.S. address and phone number to our office.
  5. After you start your classes at Sinclair, we will register you in SEVIS, complete the transfer process, and issue you an updated I-20. You can pick up your I-20 from the Office of International Education.
Frequently Asked Questions
+ Can I stay in the U.S. between programs?

Yes, once your I-20 is successfully transferred, you can remain in the U.S. However, if the period between programs is longer than 5 months, we will need to issue you a new initial I-20 with a new SEVIS number. You must leave the U.S. within your 60-day grace period and re-enter no earlier than 30 days before your new program start date.

+ Can I travel outside the U.S. while my SEVIS transfer is pending?

Yes, as a SEVIS transfer student, you can travel internationally. You are also not subject to the 30-day entry restriction, which means you can enter the U.S. at any point before your program start date. You must use Sinclair’s I-20 to enter the U.S.

+ Do I need a new F-1 visa?

No, as long as you have followed the proper transfer procedures, you will be able to use your current, unexpired F-1 visa to enter the U.S. even though it has your previous school name printed on it.

+ Am I eligible to transfer my SEVIS record to Sinclair?
  1. You have legal F-1 status in the U.S.
  2. You must transfer in for the next available term.
  3. The new program start date must be within 5 months of one of the following:
    1. Academic/language program completion at the previous institution
    2. Last day of full-time enrollment at previous institution (if not graduating)
    3. Optional Practical Training (OPT) authorization end date or the requested SEVIS transfer date if not completing OPT period.
+ Can I transfer my SEVIS record to Sinclair if it is in “complete” or “terminated” status?

Only under certain circumstances can we accept a complete or terminated I-20, as it requires reinstatement. If your I-20 has been terminated or completed, you should request a new I-20, pay the $350 SEVIS fee, travel outside the U.S., and return to the U.S. with the new I-20 to regain your F-1 status.