Skip to Content
Sinclair College


Find info & services specific to you:


Help FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)

Sinclair has created this frequently asked questions (FAQs) knowledge base to help answer common questions anytime 24/7. Just type in your question below and we will search for the answer. You can also browser answers by topic or category.

Can I stay in the U.S. between programs?

Yes, once your I-20 is successfully transferred, you can remain in the U.S. However, if the period between programs is longer than 5 months, we will need to issue you a new initial I-20 with a new SEVIS number. You must leave the U.S. within your 60-day grace period and re-enter no earlier than 30 days before your new program start date.

Can I travel outside the U.S. while my SEVIS transfer is pending?

Yes, as a SEVIS transfer student, you can travel internationally. You are also not subject to the 30-day entry restriction, which means you can enter the U.S. at any point before your program start date. You must use Sinclair’s I-20 to enter the U.S.

Do I need a new F-1 visa?

No, as long as you have followed the proper transfer procedures, you will be able to use your current, unexpired F-1 visa to enter the U.S. even though it has your previous school name printed on it.

Am I eligible to transfer my SEVIS record to Sinclair?
  1. You have legal F-1 status in the U.S.
  2. You must transfer in for the next available term.
  3. The new program start date must be within 5 months of one of the following:
    1. Academic/language program completion at the previous institution
    2. Last day of full-time enrollment at previous institution (if not graduating)
    3. Optional Practical Training (OPT) authorization end date or the requested SEVIS transfer date if not completing OPT period.
Can I transfer my SEVIS record to Sinclair if it is in “complete” or “terminated” status?

Only under certain circumstances can we accept a complete or terminated I-20, as it requires reinstatement. If your I-20 has been terminated or completed, you should request a new I-20, pay the $350 SEVIS fee, travel outside the U.S., and return to the U.S. with the new I-20 to regain your F-1 status.

Didn't find what you were looking for? Have more questions, contact us at 937-512-3000 or*

*This email address is for informational purposes only and should NOT be used for official communications, complaints for which a formal response or follow up is requested, or records request.

Send feedback to us about a FAQ/s or the FAQs results