Skip to Content

Student Employment

Sinclair offers students part-time employment in Regular Wage or Federal Work-Study opportunities. Regular Student Employment is available to any eligible student. Students must have a Federal Work Study offer to apply for work study positions. Students who do not have a Federal Work Study offer may contact a financial aid representative to see if they qualify.

Working on campus will not only provide income; it will foster responsibility, encourage you to budget your time wisely, and offer opportunities for learning and skill development. Students who choose to work on campus appreciate the convenience of job locations and the opportunity to become better acquainted with faculty and staff. They also like the fact that college employers are understanding and flexible about academic demands.

Federal Work Study Program

Federal Work-Study is a federal financial aid program based on need determined from information you provide on the FAFSA. Many departments prefer to hire work-study students since the employee's wage is drawn from federal funds.

Note: Federal work-study earnings are not credited to your Student Bursar account. For more information, please visit the Federal work study page.

Regular Wage Employment

Regular wage employment is for students who want to work on campus but who are not eligible for federal work-study.

Comparison of Federal Work-Study and Regular Wage Employment

Regular wage employment for students
Type Federal Work-Study Program Regular Wage Employment
(Non Work-Study)
How much do I earn per hour? $10.10/hour $10.10/hour
Who is eligible? Students who are U.S. citizens or eligible noncitizens demonstrating financial need (as determined by the FAFSA) Any student eligible to work in the U.S.
Application Process (1) Submit FAFSA,  (2) Check award letter for eligibility, (3) View job postings, (4) Apply directly to campus department, or submit application to Financial Aid & Scholarships for off-campus organizations (1) View job postings, (2) Apply directly to campus department
Enrollment Requirements Must be seeking a Title IV eligible program and be enrolled in at least 6 Title IV credit hours (audits do not count) Must have a declared program of study (either degree or certificate) and be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours
Work Hours Students cannot work more than 20 hours per week. Students cannot work more than 20 hours per week
SAP Requirements Must meet all SAP requirements N/A
When do I get paid? Pay checks are distributed via direct deposit on the 15th and 30/31st of the month Pay checks are distributed via direct deposit on the 15th and 30/31st of the month

Student Employee Responsibilities

  • Maintain required 6 credit hour enrollment
  • Report to work at the designated time, maintain efficient job performance
  • Maintain positive customer-centric attitude
  • Follow dress code of hiring office
  • Work no more than 20 hours per week during school semester
  • Notify supervisor if illness or circumstances will prevent you from attending work or leaving early. Any change in work schedule must be approved by a supervisor.

The Hiring Process

  1. Request and complete the Federal Work Study Change Request form on FA Online Forms. If you qualify for the Federal Pell Grant, you will likely qualify for Federal Work-Study. You may also qualify if you have been offered a Federal Direct Subsidized Loan.
  2. Students visit
  3. Log in under "Students"
  4. First time users follow instructions on left-hand side to create account. Returning users login using established username and password.
    • Username: Last 6 digits of Tartan ID
    • Create Password
  5. Complete Registration
    • Job Location: select On Campus
    • Job Interests: ONLY select Student Employment and Work Study, deselect all other fields
    • DO NOT upload resume at this time.
    • Submit Information
  6. Search Jobs through Advanced Search on the far right, searching by the following fields
    • KEYWORDS: enter Sinclair Student Employment
    • JOB TYPES: select only Student Employment and Work Study
  7. Toward the bottom of each job posting, is the student application, and application instructions. Please review these carefully for each position, as application submission for each office is difference.
  8. Using the dropdown under "Position Type", select "Student Employment: Federal Work Study" AND/OR "Student Employment: Without Federal Work Study".
  9. After finding a position you have interest in, follow the prescribed method of application contained in the position description. Typically the process to apply requires the submission for a Student Employment Application
  10. After being interviewed and offered a position, the employer will complete the HR Action Form and submit it to the Financial Aid & Scholarships office.
  11. After submitting the Intent to Hire, a background check will be performed on the applicant by Human Resources. The background check takes approximately two weeks.
  12. Applicants who pass the background check will complete the Payroll Notification Packet that will be provided by the supervisor. The completed forms will be submitted to Human Resources for final processing.
  13. Students must go through the hiring process annually. Federal Work-Study eligibility can change from year to year.

Termination of Employment

Student employment is "at will". In other words, student employees are free to quit whenever they wish and the college is not restricted from terminating a student employee at any time as well. Hiring managers should submit the HR Action Form to the Human Resources office.

Department Hiring Managers

In order to post a student employment position, Hiring Managers must complete and submit the Job Description Form and submit it to For questions, please call 937-512-4545.