Skip to Content

Frequently Asked Questions

+ When is Late Registration?

Late Registration (with $30 late fee) is the week or portion of the week before classes begin. During this period, a student can register for or add any class which is open and has not met for the first time. Audit registration will also take place during this week.

+ What are Prerequisites?

There are prerequisite courses for some classes that require a certain degree of competence. It is the student's responsibility to be aware of prerequisites. These prerequisites are indicated in the course descriptions and in class schedule offerings. However, prerequisites can change over time.

Check with your academic advisor for the most up-to-date information. All prerequisite coursework must be completed before your registration can be processed. Transfer students who wish to use courses completed at another institution to meet a prerequisite must present an unofficial transcript sent from the previous institution to the academic advisor.

+ Can I Repeat a Course?

A student may repeat a course for any reason. Under semesters the most recent grade will be used in calculating the cumulative grade point average (GPA) in place of the original grade. Under quarters the second grade will be used in calculating the cumulative grade point average (GPA) in place of the original grade. If the same course is taken any additional times, the third grade and credit hours will be averaged in to the cumulative GPA.

All grades will remain on the transcript even if they are not counted in the cumulative GPA. There are some courses that will be counted in the cumulative GPA each time that they are taken; the original grade is not replaced by the second one. Such courses are designated in the course descriptions with an "R". If a student wants to have a previous grade in such a course replaced by a later grade, special arrangements must be made with the department chairperson. Veterans and other students who receive financial assistance from an outside agency may find that the agency has rules that do not permit payment for courses that are taken more than once.

+ What are the Student Classifications?

A full-time student is one who registers for and completes 12 or more credit hours per semester. A part-time student is one who registers for and completes 11 or fewer credit hours per semester. Credit hours indicate the approximate number of hours a student will be in class per week. For example, English 1101, a three credit hour course, requires three hours of class attendance weekly. Lab hours usually require additional class attendance time.

A first-year student is one who is registered in a specific program and has earned fewer than 30 semester hours of credit, including transfer credit. A second-year student is one who is registered in a specific program and has earned at least 30 semester credit hours, including transfer credit, but not a degree.

+ What is a limited enrollment course in the Health Sciences division?

The Health Sciences (HS) Programs consist of open enrollment (general education and division specific courses) and program specific courses with limited enrollment. The open enrollment courses may be taken prior to entry into the limited enrollment courses. To qualify for entry to limited enrollment courses, please see the program specific information packet located on the each LHS program’s webpage.

+ How do I Change My Major?

Students who wish to change from one major to another must do so by meeting with their academic advisors. The academic advisor will implement the change. The change will be indicated on the record at the end of the term and will not affect the grade point average. A list of majors is included with the application for admission. The most up-to-date information is available from the academic advisors. It is recommended that you meet with an academic advisor periodically to make certain that you are following the approved curriculum for the major, minor, or certificate program for which you are studying.

+ How do I change Sections of a Course?

Students may change into any open section of the same course after Late Registration period upon presentation of a letter from his or her employer verifying a work schedule/child care/transportation change. The above procedure is applicable through the last day for withdrawal with a "W" grade. Take the letter from the employer to the academic advising office, Building 11, Room 346

+ What is the Course Numbering System?

Courses in the 1000 series usually are recommended for first-year students and courses in the 2000 series for second-year students. Those numbered less than 100 are developmental courses and may or may not be accepted by other colleges and universities as transfer credit.

+ What is Auditing a Course?

A student who audits a course will not receive a grade or credit. He or she is permitted to attend classes but will not be required to take exams. The fee for auditing is the same as that for enrolling for credit. Students may not change from audit status to credit status or from credit status to audit status once registered for the course. Registration and/or adds for audit status will be accepted only during the designated late registration periods. Audit status must be indicated on the registration form or drop/add form. A veteran may not used educational benefits to audit a course. In addition, financial aid may not be used to pay for courses that are audited.

+ What is the Selective Service Requirement?

Ohio law requires that all males who are not in compliance with the federal Selective Service laws pay out-of-state tuition fees. All males who are eighteen through twenty-five years of age must be registered with the Selective Service. Men who are on active duty in the U.S. military service are exempt. Students who are not in compliance will be assessed out-of-state fees, and if fees are not paid within the specified period, the students will be withdrawn from all classes. Students may register for the Selective Service at any U.S. post office For information concerning selective service status, call 1-800-688-2576, Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m.-6:45 p.m.