Skip to Content
Sinclair College

Outside of Ohio - State Authorization

For Students and Activities Outside of Ohio

State Authorization regulations determine the educational activities Sinclair is permitted to offer outside of Ohio. The information on this page may apply to you if, for example:

  • You are located outside of Ohio and are interested in taking online courses
  • You wish to participate in an internship/field experience/clinical outside of Ohio
  • You move out of state in the middle of a semester/program

Regulations vary from state to state, as do the activities that Sinclair is able to offer to students located in another state. If you are located or plan to engage in any educational activity outside of Ohio, please inquire before enrolling or registering to confirm whether Sinclair may offer those educational activities in your state. You may email to make an inquiry.

Professional Licensure Programs

Some of Sinclair's degree and certificate programs may lead to professional licensure and/or certification upon successful completion of the program requirements. Licensure or certification may be global, national, or state-specific. The programs at the link below, meet curriculum requirements for the state of Ohio. Requirements for other states may vary. If you currently live in a state other than Ohio or intend to use the education completed at Sinclair to sit for such an exam or pursue employment in another state, be aware there may be additional requirements. Please contact the appropriate administering body or licensing board, and/or the program's department to discuss your intentions.

Licensure Program Disclosures by State

Online Courses

Sinclair is allowed to offer online courses to students who live in any state, including the District of Columbia.

Clinicals & Internships

Sinclair is allowed to offer field experiences such as internships or clinical placements in any state except Colorado, with some exceptions in certain programs. If you are interested in participating in an internship or clinical (or other type of field experience) in a state other than Ohio, please contact us at to ensure that this option is available before enrolling in the program.

For more details about State Authorization, please read below.

Sinclair College is a member of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) which provides authorization to offer certain activities in other SARA member states.

If you are located in the following SARA member states, Sinclair is permitted to offer online courses and field experiences (with some exceptions in certain programs) in your state based on the SARA agreement:

SARA Member States

District of Columbia
New Hamshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
North Dakota
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
West Virgina

*Sinclair is not able to offer internships, clinicals or other field experiences in Colorado at this time.

If you are located in California, Sinclair is permitted to offer online courses, as well as field experiences (with some exceptions in certain programs) in your state based on the regulations of those states.

Additional information concerning State Authorization in general can be found here.

Student Complaint Information

Sinclair is committed to resolving student complaints in an expeditious, fair and friendly manner. For more information on student rights and responsibilities at Sinclair, refer to the Student Judicial Affairs Code of Conduct Handbook, and the Student Rights and Responsibilities statement.

SinclairOnline students residing outside of Ohio should resolve complaints with Sinclair by contacting us. Sinclair works diligently to find positive outcomes to student concerns. Please try to exhaust all possible avenues of complaint resolution before going outside of the college.

If a complaint cannot be resolved through the Sinclair process, students may be able to use one of the following processes:

Are you located here?

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming

Sinclair College is a member of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) and therefore accepts the Ohio Department of Higher Education's oversight in resolving student complaints from students taking online course or out of state field experiences in a state that is a member of SARA. Once a student has exhausted all possible avenues of complaint resolution at Sinclair, the student may file a formal complaint with the Ohio Department of Higher Education.

Or here?


You may be able to file a complaint with your state if you are located outside of Ohio. In compliance with federal Department of Education regulations, Sinclair provides students a link to State Agencies with contact information for each state available here. Please select your state from the drop-down list to access the contact information.

If you need assistance identifying your State Agency, please reach out to