Community Health Worker AHCN.S.CRT
One-year Technical Certificate - 32 - 33 Credit Hours
Division: Health Sciences
Department: Allied Health
Effective as of Fall 2018
What is the program about?
The Community Health Worker program curriculum is designed to prepare the student for employment as community health workers, patient navigators, and health insurance navigators. The aim of this one-year certificate is to provide individuals with the expertise and experience in assisting individuals and communities to navigate the U.S. community health, health care and health insurance systems. The certificate offers a combination of classroom, lab and practical training that will help the student succeed in their future career. A portion of this program will involve 210 hours of non-paid practice at various facilities. A State and Federal Background check will be required prior to starting the clinical practice. The program is Ohio Board of Nursing (OBN) approved and those who complete the program may become registered through OBN.
- Demonstrate professionalism including knowledge of cultural competence, self-care and communication skills.
- Demonstrate knowledge of scope of practice of a Community Health Worker.
- Demonstrate skills in documentation of service provision.
- Demonstrate knowledge with regards to healthcare across the life span.
- Demonstrate skills in conducting patient needs assessment and identifying appropriate resources to meet those needs.
Community Health Workers will be educated to obtain the expertise and experience in assisting individuals and communities to navigate the U.S. community health, health care, and health insurance systems, as well as to improve the equality and cultural competence of service delivery and accomplish personal prevention and health care goals.
- View the Master Syllabus - View the Course Schedule
Program Accreditation Information
The program is approved through the Ohio Board of Nursing.
This information is for planning purposes only. Sinclair College will make every effort to offer curriculum listed above but reserves the right to change, add and cancel curriculum offerings for unforeseen circumstances.