Expanded Functions for Dental Auxiliaries EFDA.S.STC
Short-term Technical Certificate - 13 Credit Hours
Division: Health Sciences
Department: Dental Health Sciences
Effective as of Fall 2012
Sinclair Community College’s Expanded Function Dental Auxiliary (EFDA) Program is designed to train Registered Dental Assistants and Registered Dental Hygienists in the art of Restorative Dentistry. Upon successful completion of this program, an auxiliary is eligible to sit for the state certifying examination.
What is the program about?
The Expanded Functions Dental Auxiliary (EFDA) Certificate is designed to prepare graduates for positions in private practice dental offices, dental clinics, federal, state and municipal health facilities. The Ohio State Dental Board allows Certified Dental Assistants and Registered Dental Hygienists to enroll in this training. Emphasis is placed on sealants, amalgam restorations, composite restorations and temporary restorations. Students will receive instruction and hands-on experience in restorative dentistry as it relates to expanded functions in Ohio. Once the training is complete, the student must take a state written and practical exam to demonstrate proficiency in placement of dental restorations. Note: For students under age 18 there may be restrictions on participating in certain Health Sciences programs. Any student under age 18 must contact the program director/department chair to discuss whether he or she may enroll.
- Demonstrates the ability to work with a culturally diverse population.
- Demonstrates the gold standard of care in restorative dentistry, including the application of OSHA and HIPAA regulations in providing patient care.
- Demonstrates ethical conduct in restorative care and the decision making process.
- Demonstrates social responsibility by displaying a professional commitment to continuing education and life-long learning.
- Displays effective written and oral communication with other health care providers and the public regarding the significance of restorative dentistry.
The Expanded Functions Dental Auxiliary Profession offers opportunities with excellent income and flexible scheduling. While most EFDAs work in general and specialty dental offices, alternative career opportunities are available. These include public health departments, community programs and clinics, teaching institutions, consumer advocate and consulting.
The student must take a state written and practical exam to demonstrate proficiency in placement of dental restorations. After successful completion of the exam, the student must register with the Ohio State Dental Board as a Certified Expanded Functions Dental Auxiliary. This is currently a certification with biennial registration.
To be accepted for this program you must provide proof of the following:
- A completed application with the following included.
- A copy of your CURRENT Certified Dental Assistant (CDA), Registered Dental Assistants (RDA), or Registered Dental Hygienist (RDH) status showing the date of expiration.
- A letter from a current or former DDS employer, confirming TWO years of full time chair side dental assisting or dental hygiene duties within the last five years. (Letters can be combined if all criteria is met from current office).
- A letter from your dentist-employer confirming CURRENT employment in the dental office and his/her intent to provide and facilitate EFDA student clinical education externship in the office.
- A copy of current BLS Healthcare Provider CPR certification, expiration date must be current.
- A copy of Hepatitis B immunity or vaccination within the past ten years.
- View the Master Syllabus - View the Course Schedule
This information is for planning purposes only. Sinclair College will make every effort to offer curriculum listed above but reserves the right to change, add and cancel curriculum offerings for unforeseen circumstances.