Clinical Phlebotomy CPST.S.STC
Short-term Technical Certificate - 6 Credit Hours
Division: Health Sciences
Department: Allied Health
Effective as of Fall 2021
What is the program about?
This certificate is intended to provide entry-level competency to students seeking employment in the area of phlebotomy in health care settings. This certificate is also intended to provide expanded competencies and proficiencies to practicing health care professionals and students enrolled in health science programs. The students will be required to complete 105 hours of unpaid practicum during ALH 1114 Clinical Phlebotomy Practice. Students who complete this course will receive a certificate of completion. Note: For students under age 18 there may be restrictions on participating in certain Health Sciences programs. Any student under age 18 must contact the program director/department chair to discuss whether he or she may enroll.
- Perform microcollection techniques on patients in a clinical setting with consistency, successfully.
- Perform venipunctures on patients in a clinical setting with consistency, successfully.
- Demonstrate an awareness of clinical complications and symptoms that may be exhibited by patients during the venipuncture and microcollection process.
- Apply effective skills in the areas of communication, critical thinking and problem solving in the practice of Clinical Phlebotomy .
- Identify the instruments, equipment and supplies used in the collection, identification and processing of blood specimens.
- Identify the basic components of the circulatory system, including blood cells and precursors.
Completers will be able to obtain positions as phlebotomists in hospital laboratories, outpatient clinics and private medical laboratories.
- Must be 18 years or older
Click here to view the Clinical Phlebotomy Student Information Packet.
- View the Master Syllabus - View the Course Schedule
This information is for planning purposes only. Sinclair College will make every effort to offer curriculum listed above but reserves the right to change, add and cancel curriculum offerings for unforeseen circumstances.