Chemical Dependency Counseling CDC.S.STC
Short-term Technical Certificate - 12 Credit Hours
Division: Health Sciences
Department: Mental Health and Addiction Services
Effective as of Fall 2019
Short-term certificate in chemical dependency counseling. Provides educational hours for CDCA Phase I & II credential. If student has 4-year baccalaureate degree, educational hours apply to LCDC II credential.
What is the program about?
This series of courses meets the 180 clock hours of chemical dependency specific education required by the Ohio Chemical Dependency Professionals Board to apply for chemical dependency licensure. It is for individuals who have previously earned or are in the process of earning at least an Associate degree in behavioral science.
- Demonstrate culturally relevant individual, relationship and group counseling strategies.
- Demonstrate knowledge and techniques in group facilitation.
- Initiate treatment plan with client, formulating and prioritizing mutually agreed-upon problems, goals, objectives and methods.
- Describe various theories of addiction.
- Perform and document all aspects of clinical assessment except diagnosis.
- Identify major drug classification, including symptoms of abuse or addiction.
- Provide culturally relevant prevention and education raising awareness of substance use, prevention and recovery.
- Identify and evaluate ethical issues and apply the code of ethics and standards of practice to promote the best interests of the client and profession.
According to the Department of Labor, all human service areas are going to be growing; currently the seventh fastest growing profession in the occupational outlook data.
The purpose of this certificate and the change to it, has to do with meeting the requirements for a state of Ohio license in chemical dependency and to respond to the regional opioid crisis not necessarily transfer. Many students who take this certificate already have Bachelor and Master degrees.
180 hours of chemical dependency education are required for social workers, counselors and other human service professionals to apply for licensure with the Ohio Chemical Dependency Professionals Board. This certificate meets all of these hours
While taking MHT 1130, contact HSBH department to schedule meeting with faculty advisor.
- View the Master Syllabus - View the Course Schedule
This information is for planning purposes only. Sinclair College will make every effort to offer curriculum listed above but reserves the right to change, add and cancel curriculum offerings for unforeseen circumstances.