CDA Preparation Certificate CDA.S.STC
Short-term Technical Certificate - 9 Credit Hours
Division: Liberal Arts, Communication and Social Sciences
Department: Early Childhood Education
Effective as of Summer 2020
What is the program about?
This certificate includes three ECE courses which serve as the preparation courses for the completion of the CDA (Childhood Development Associate) certificate. These three courses provide the required content knowledge and development of the CDA portfolio. Successful completion of these courses and passage of required on-site observation will enable students to obtain the CDA certificate through the Council of Professional Recognition (CDA Council). A grade of "C" or better is required in all courses.
- Support young children and their families through systematic observations, documentations, and assessments.
- Create reciprocal relationships, to support, and involve families and communities in their child’s development and learning.
- Build a CDA professional portfolio containing a summary of their official training and the list of courses taken, completed questionnaires from the families, written statements explaining their teaching practices in relation to the six CDA standards, early childhood resources, a description of their educational philosophy.
- Demonstrate supportive interactions and developmentally appropriate practices to create respectful, supportive and challenging learning environments for children.
The CDA certificate is the entry level credential required for childcare professionals. As of July 2020 the state of Ohio will require a minimum of a CDA certificate. Given the current severe shortage of qualified workers in childcare and preschool settings, the job market is very favorable.
- View the Master Syllabus - View the Course Schedule
This information is for planning purposes only. Sinclair College will make every effort to offer curriculum listed above but reserves the right to change, add and cancel curriculum offerings for unforeseen circumstances.