ESL 0120 Reading & Writing Basics
This beginning course focuses on developing basic reading comprehension and basic grammar and writing skills. Students will be able to write simple sentences, questions, and complete personal information forms. Common everyday vocabulary, spelling, and punctuation will be developed.
Division: Liberal Arts, Communication and Social Sciences
Repeatable Credit: No
Offered Online: No
- Answer test questions with short answers.
- Apply basic phonics and basic reading strategies to interpret information in sentences and simple paragraphs.
- Demonstrate the ability to write simple sentences and questions using the following verb tenses; simple present, present continuous, simple past, and future.
- Demonstrate the ability to use level-appropriate general and academic vocabulary words.
- Write simple paragraphs and emails following a model.
- Write correctly with capitalization, periods, and questions marks.
- Demonstrate comprehension of common signs, simple paragraphs, emails, letters, and personal forms.
Credit Hours: 4
Classroom Hours: 4