CAT 2411 Building Codes, Laws & Specifications
Building code history, development, application and review processes. Analysis of existing building to determine code status, form recommendations and make presentation. Examine Ohio law impacting various codes, safety, contracting and personnel issues with regard to built environment professions. Develop sample contract specifications. One classroom, two lab hours per week.
Division: Science, Mathematics and Engineering
Department: Civil Engineering Technology
Repeatable Credit: No
Offered Online: No
Prereqs: CAT 1201
- Investigate and summarize legal implications of built environment ownership, contracting and operation. Compare and contrast legal responsibilities with ethical issues, including "green" building.
- Describe origin and development of various codes, including building, zoning and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Compare and contrast enforcement of codes, applicability and jurisdictional issues.
- Describe the building permitting process at a local jurisdiction. Apply knowledge to simulate documentation and application processes.
- Develop basic specifications of discrete building systems using MasterFormat.
- Compare and contrast delivery models, including traditional contracting, construction management and design build. Examine contracts and general conditions for each.
Credit Hours: 2
Classroom Hours: 1
Lab Hours: 2