For Students Who Live 60 Miles or More from Sinclair's Dayton Campus
Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) gives students the opportunity to demonstrate learning done outside of college to potentially earn college credit. Evaluation of all PLA options is done by content experts following established Sinclair policies, equivalencies, and course outcomes. All interested students are encouraged to contact their Academic Coach to determine if PLA is a good option for you. There are two categories: credit by exam and evaluation of a credential, transcripts, or portfolio. Visit the PLA page for more information. All proficiency exams are proctored, follow the steps below to start the process.
- Read and agree to the Proficiency Testing Policies located under step #9 below.
- Find out if a proficiency test is available by checking this course list. If a particular course is not on the list, contact Prior Learning Assessment at 937-512-2800.
- Contact your Academic Coach to discuss if taking a proficiency exam is a good option for you.
- Complete and submit the Proficiency Testing Form. Notification of approval or denial will be sent to your my.sinclair email account.
- Locate a proctor (exam supervisor) by following the steps on the How to Find a Proctor page.
- Complete and submit the Proctor Agreement Form. Notification of approval or denial will be sent to your my.sinclair email account.
- Pay the required fee. Payment instructions will be sent to your my.sinclair email account. Fees for proficiency exams range from $65 to $110 or more. Please note that the fee is nonrefundable.
- Schedule an appointment with your proctor and take the test. Proficiency testing instructions will be sent to your my.sinclair email account. Provide a valid photo ID and a copy of that ID to give to the proctor.
- Grading and posting of your grade may take up to two weeks. If you receive an A, B, or C, it can be viewed on Web Advisor. If you receive a D or F, you will receive a letter from Prior Learning Assessment.
Proficiency Testing Policies
- Proficiency tests are only administered to a student who is officially admitted to Sinclair Community College and has paid the appropriate fees.
- Testing fees are non-refundable.
- Some tests require departmental approval.
- A student must have completed all course prerequisites before taking any proficiency test.
- A proficiency test can be taken only once for any course.
- A proficiency test cannot be taken for a course in which a student is currently registered.
- Only 30 credit hours may be earned through proficiency tests, articulated credit, AP, CLEP, DSST, ACE credit and applied toward degree requirements.
- Credits earned by proficiency tests do not apply toward the college residency requirements.
- A grade of A, B, C, D or F will be awarded for proficiency tests; however, only an A, B, or C grade will be recorded on a student's transcript.
- Proficiency test grades will be recorded on the student's transcript with a notation that clearly indicates grades were earned as a result of taking a proficiency test. For example: A#, B# or C#.
- Grades for proficiency tests are not always transferable to other colleges or universities.