Skip to Content
Sinclair College


Find info & services specific to you:


Help FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions)

Sinclair has created this frequently asked questions (FAQs) knowledge base to help answer common questions anytime 24/7. Just type in your question below and we will search for the answer. You can also browser answers by topic or category.

How do I apply for a student loan?

Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized loan eligibility is determined by Sinclair after the student submits the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) – there is no separate application process. When accessing the Financial Aid Portal, select My Awards to accept or reject the student loans offered. Loan amounts are limited to $5,500 for 1st year students and $6,500 for a 2nd year students. Independent students may request additional loan funding by contacting the Financial Aid & Scholarships Office.

If accepting loans, students will receive an e-mail if additional steps are required to complete the loan process. This could include completing the Loan Agreement (MPN) and/or Loan Entrance Counseling Session by visiting

Note:If students do not have an offered loan on the Financial Aid Portal, they may not be eligible for a loan. Contact the Welcome Center for more information.

How will my tuition be paid?

Once you are registered for the term, scholarships and/or state grants will be applied toward tuition. Ten (10) days before the term begins, your accepted federal financial aid will be applied toward any remaining tuition and fees. If students have accepted the awards but the balance has not been paid, they need to contact the Welcome Center. If you are only registered for B term or late starting classes, federal aid will not pay until ten (10) days before the start of your B term or late starting classes.

Please note that first time student loan borrowers will not be eligible for federal loan funds to disburse until the 31st day of the term after the student begins classes. If funds are remaining after tuition and fees have been paid the student may, if authorized, use the funds to buy books. After the start of the term, any federal financial aid not used on tuition, fees, and/or books will be eligible for refund. Refund distributions are processed by the Bursar through BankMobile. More information on refunds and BankMobile can be found at the refund information and policy webpage.

Do registered courses impact federal financial aid?

Yes, registered courses may impact federal financial aid amounts and/or eligibility. The following information only applies in the consideration of the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (SEOG), Federal Direct Loans, and Federal Work-Study.

How do I know which courses are considered in my Federal financial aid eligibility?

Courses must be required for the student’s active program of study. Remedial courses (except those listed below) are also included in the federal financial aid determination.

Why are courses NOT considered in federal financial aid determination?
  • Course Not on Degree Audit (i.e. the Program Evaluation in WebAdvisor)
    • Courses not required for the active program of study are excluded in the federal financial aid disbursement amount.
  • Courses Do Not Meet Content Standards
    • The curriculum for the following courses do not meet federal financial aid content requirements: MAT 0050, DEV 0020, DEV 0025, DEV 0070 and DEV 0075
  • Repeated Courses
    • Federal financial aid is available for one repetition of a successfully completed course (grade of D or higher). Please review the Financial Aid & Scholarships' Repeat Coursework Policy for additional information, including the Repeat Coursework Appeal process.
  • Non-Verified Attendance
    • When instructors report a student never attended class during the first 14 days of a term, the course is removed from the financial aid eligible credit hours. Please review the Financial Aid & Scholarships’ Financial Aid Attendance Policy for additional information, including the Attendance Appeal process.
  • Remedial Education Limits
    • Students can receive federal financial aid consideration for up to 30 credit hours of remedial education. Only some DEV courses, specific MAT courses, and ESL courses are included in remedial education. Additionally, specific MUS courses are included in remedial coursework for MUS.S.AA majors only
  • Census Date Issues
    • o The initial calculation of a Federal Pell Grant is based on anticipated full-time enrollment. Sinclair recalculates Federal Pell Grant awards based on course schedule adjustments up to the student census date. The student census date is the latest course census date for all of the student’s registered courses for a specific term. If a student drops a course before his or her student census date, the course is removed from a student’s financial aid eligible credit hours. Click here for the financial aid census date policy.
What does it mean if a course is not considered in the calculation of my Federal financial aid disbursements?

The credit hours for eligible coursework impact the amount of Pell Grant a student can receive.  Additionally, it can impact a student’s eligibility for Federal student loans and Federal Work Study if the student is not enrolled in at least 6 eligible hours. If the eligible hours are less than full time, the federal financial aid may be adjusted and as a result, may affect the student’s refund or in some cases, may cause a balance.

What paid jobs are available for students?

Sinclair offers students part-time employment opportunities both on and off campus. Students can look for job postings and apply for positions at JobLink..

Positions are categorized as Regular Student Employment or Federal Work Study. Any student can apply for Regular Student Employment positions. Students must have a Federal Work Study award available to apply for Work Study Only positions. Students who do not have a Federal Work Study award may contact a financial aid representative to see if you qualify. Learn more about both types of student employment.

Also available are internship opportunities. Working as a student not only offers income to help pay for classes, but also provides resume building experience.

How do I apply for a scholarship?

Scholarship applications are available at Scholarships may also be included in your financial aid package. Visit the Work-based Learning website for more information on internship opportunities.

How will I know when my file is complete and I have been awarded?

Students will be sent an e-mail to their Sinclair e-mail address when their file is complete and their financial aid awards are available to review on the Financial Aid Portal at They will need to accept the awards before the funds will be available to pay their tuition.

Can I use my financial aid to buy books?

After tuition and fees are paid, students may use remaining federal financial aid and some scholarships up to a maximum of $1000 per term to purchase books in the Sinclair Bookstore. Students must show their Tartan Card for identification. Book charge dates can be found at . More information on Financial Aid for textbooks can be found here


View help video: Will financial aid pay for all of my expenses?

What are the important dates for financial aid?

The guarantee date is the date that all required documents must be received by the Financial Aid office in order for the financial aid process to be complete by the payment due date. Please visit the Priority Guarantee Dates webpage.

What is a FAFSA?

It is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. The FAFSA is an application the federal government, the state agency, and the school uses to determine your eligibility for financial aid.

View help video: What is the FAFSA?

What if I need help completing the FAFSA?

The financial aid staff provides workshops to help students complete the application online. The workshop dates and locations are available at

After I file my FAFSA, what is the next step?

The results from the FAFSA will be received electronically. Students will be sent an e-mail to their Sinclair e-mail address if additional documentation is needed to complete the file. You can also check your Financial Aid Portal from your my.sinclair student home page under the Student Finance tile.

Can I use financial aid for all three terms?

It is possible to use financial aid for all three terms. State grants and federal loans can be used for all three terms if all eligibility is not exhausted in the first 2 terms. The Federal Pell Grant will be awarded over two terms with a possible option for the third term if student meets eligibility requirements for a second scheduled Pell Grant award. The number of terms in which scholarships are awarded will vary based on the criteria of each scholarship.

Do I have to be enrolled full time to receive financial aid?

Students are not required to attend full time, but most financial aid is prorated for students enrolled in fewer than 12 credit hours per term. Some financial aid requires the students to be enrolled at least 6 credit hours--such as loans, some scholarships, work study, etc. Visit the Welcome Center for more information.

View help video: Do I have to be enrolled full-time to receive financial aid?

How often do I apply for financial aid?

Apply once each academic year. The academic year at Sinclair Community College starts with fall term and ends with summer term. The FAFSA is available after October 1 for the next year at .

View help video: Do I have to reapply for financial aid each year?

What is a subsidized, unsubsidized and PLUS loan?

Subsidized: The federal government pays interest while borrower is in school or under a deferment status.

Unsubsidized: Borrower is responsible for interest during life of the loan.

PLUS+: Loan available to parents of dependent students.

The parent must submit the PLUS application online at The parent will also be required to complete a Loan Agreement (MPN).

View help video: What is the difference between a subsidized and an unsubsidized loan? | What is a PLUS Loan?

What happens if I miss the guarantee date?

The financial aid will still be processed as quickly as possible. However, students may have to pay tuition charges by the payment deadline date or enroll in the Tuition Payment Plan at Check the Nelnet (FACTS) Payment Plan web site for the enrollment deadline dates. Once the financial aid process is complete, students may be reimbursed up to the amount of the accepted awards, if any.

How do I apply for financial aid?

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at List Sinclair as the school to receive your information (School Code: 003119).

View help video: How do I apply for financial aid?

What is financial aid?

Assistance given to students to help meet the difference between the student’s costs and the amount they are able to pay. Financial aid can be one of four types:

  • Grants (Federal and State)
  • Federal Loans (Subsidized/Unsubsidized/PLUS)
  • Federal Work Study (Money earned while working on campus)
  • Scholarships (Foundation, Institutional, External, State)

View help video: What is financial aid?

What if one of my classes is cancelled?

Since the class is no longer on the students’ schedule, financial aid may need to be adjusted. Depending on the time of the term, you may be able to add a class to avoid any changes with your financial aid. Students will be responsible for updating their schedule or paying any balance caused by a reduction in financial aid.

Will my financial aid be affected if I drop classes?

There are several points to consider before dropping classes. These are reviewed on the “Dropping a Class” flyer at  Please contact a financial aid representative before dropping a class.

Are there academic requirements for maintaining my financial aid?

Sinclair Community College students receiving federal financial aid are required to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) according to federal law.  Academic records are reviewed for all students receiving federal financial aid or being considered for federal financial aid from the following sources:

  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal Work Study Program
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant
  • Federal Direct Stafford Loan Program (subsidized and unsubsidized)
  • Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan
  • Other programs as determined by the Financial Aid & Scholarships office

The review of a student's SAP status is based on the entire academic record. The SAP status is monitored after each term's grades are posted. Being eligible to enroll in classes does not mean the student is maintaining SAP for federal financial aid.

View the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

Didn't find what you were looking for? Have more questions, contact us at 937-512-3000 or*

*This email address is for informational purposes only and should NOT be used for official communications, complaints for which a formal response or follow up is requested, or records request.

Send feedback to us about a FAQ/s or the FAQs results