MAS 1110 Administrative Medical Assisting
The Administrative Medical Assistant course will provide an overview of the role of a medical assistant within the health care industry and different work environments, administrative duties in a physician's office including monitoring patient appointments, outpatient procedures, medical and office equipment maintenance, storing supplies and pharmaceuticals, hiring, evaluating and managing personnel, as well as the fundamentals of medical ethics and law in the medical office setting. Two classroom, six lab hours per week.
Division: Health Sciences
Department: Medical Assistant Technology
Repeatable Credit: No
Offered Online: Yes
Prereqs: ENG 1101
- Describe major components of various medical telephone systems.
- Organize and administer a complete medical office appointment system.
- Describe the concepts of effective communication within the medical office.
- Discuss the role of the medical assistant in developing a medical practice and promoting positive interactions with patients and staff members.
- Discuss the procedures in maintaining a medical office.
- Apply policies for the control, use and release of health information, including identifying public duties relating to reportable information.
- Describe the role of the medical assistant in relationship to other members of the healthcare team, including primary areas of responsibility, as well as career opportunities and potential in terms of service and contribution to healthcare delivery.
- Distinguish between law and standards, as well as ethics and etiquette.
Credit Hours: 4
Classroom Hours: 2
Lab Hours: 6