CLT 1200 Introduction to Clinical Laboratory
The course will introduce students to the terms, concepts, procedures, and equipment used in a professional medical laboratory. One classroom, three lab hours per week.
Division: Health Sciences
Department: Clinical Laboratory Technology
Repeatable Credit: No
Offered Online: No
Prereqs: ALH 1101 AND BIO 1121 OR BIO 1107 OR BIO 1141
- List and describe safety hazards in the laboratory and discuss the proper techniques to avoid accidents.
- Describe use of point of care testing with the clinical lab environment.
- Describe behavior consistent with the ethical practice of clinical laboratory medicine.
- Apply principles of confidentiality of (HIPAA) for all patients and test results.
- Explain the impact of federal and state regulatory agencies on the clinical laboratory, and quality control measures.
- Discuss processing clinical specimens according to established procedures, Use basic metric systems for laboratory procedures and use formulas to calculate strengths of dilutions and solutions,List and explain the basic laboratory procedures in clinical chemistry, hematology, coagulation, urinalysis, immunology/serology.
- Demonstrate awareness and proficiency of the terms, concepts, procedures, and equipment used in a professional medical laboratory.
Credit Hours: 2
Classroom Hours: 1
Lab Hours: 3