CHE 2161 Lab for Organic Chemistry II
Lab for CHE 2121.
Division: Science, Mathematics and Engineering
Repeatable Credit: No
Offered Online: No
- Maintain a complete and organized lab notebook and write lab reports using the ACS (American Chemical Society) guidelines.
- Demonstrate safe techniques when performing experiments and safely dispose chemical wastes in accordance with OSHA and EPA standards.
- Use melting or boiling points, IR (Infrared), NMR (Nuclear Magnetic Resonance), and MS (mass spectrum) to identify unknown organic compounds.
- Effectively use distillation and crystallization techniques to purify reaction products.
- Perform multi-step synthesis of hydrobenzoin from benzaldehyde, Fisher esterification, acylation of salicylic acid, aldol condensation, Cannizzaro reaction, Diels-Alder reaction, addition and condensation polymerization, methyl orange dye synthesis.
Credit Hours: 0