Dayton, OH – The Sinclair Community College Police Department is hosting its 22nd Annual Safety Awareness Expo and SCC Club Day on Wednesday, September 30. The Expo is co-sponsored by the Miami Valley Crime Prevention Association.
The day’s activities will be held on the Sinclair plaza outside Building 10 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and include:
- Over 60 area police departments, law enforcement agencies, safety-related organizations and Sinclair clubs and organizations will be featuring interactive displays.
- The Knight Blaze band will perform from 10:30 - 11:30 a.m. and from 12:30 - 1:30 p.m. The band’s members are Montgomery County police officers and firefighters. The band has been in existence for over 15 years and has performed at many area public schools and area festivals. Their appearance at the Expo will be their last public performance before permantely disbanding.
- The Sinclair Police Academy will feature a variety of rappelling exercises from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- The 10th annual Partner in Safety awards will be presented to four Sinclair organizations at Noon. College administrators and McGruff, the crime dog will also participate and WDTN-TV News Anchor Mark Allan will serve as emcee.
- The plaza will be surrounded with a variety of police vehicles and specialty cars from participating departments, including the Ohio State Fire Marshall command center unit and the Dayton Police and Miami Township Motorcycle units.
- A variety of live demonstrations will feature child seat safety demonstrations by AAA Miami Valley.
- Confidential Material Destruction will be on hand to provide free shredding of personal documents in an effort to help combat identity theft.
- Aramark Foods will be hosting a Bratwurst Festival.
- Over 30 Sinclair clubs and organizations will be on hand to provide information and activities.
Participating police departments include:
Ohio State Highway Patrol
Dayton Police Motorcycle Patrol
Five Rivers Metroparks Rangers
Sinclair Community College
U.S. Attorney General’s Office / U.S. Dept. of Justice
U.S. Marshals Service
Ohio Investigative Unit
Wright State University
Other participating organizations include:
AAA Miami Valley
Mont. County Prosecutor's Office/Victim Witness Division
Ohio Attorney General’s Office
American Red Cross
Ohio Consumer’s Council
Better Business Bureau
Ohio Fire Marshall
Community Tissue Services
Ohio Office of Homeland Security
Confidential Material Destruction
P & R Communications
Epilepsy Foundation of Western Ohio
Public Health Dayton & Montgomery County
Life Connection of Ohio
S.A.F.E. – Montgomery County Safe Communities
Miami Valley Crime Prevention Association
Sister-Sister Breast Cancer Awareness
Miami Valley Crime Stoppers
For additional information, contact Lt. Scott Fowler, Crime Prevention Specialist, at (937) 512-2173 or check the Safety Awareness Expo web site at http://www.sinclair.edu/about/offices/police/scasae/
Natasha Baker, APR
Director of Public Relations
Sinclair Community College
Phone: (937) 512-2221 x0