A student employee will be defined as a "Sinclair degree-seeking or certificate-seeking student in good standing who is taking 6 credit hours or more during the current quarter". Audit classes will not count toward the six-hour requirement. This applies during all quarters including the summer quarter. Human Resources will monitor status (student in good standing) and credit hours each quarter. The determining day for enrollment will be the 14th day of each quarter. Withdrawal after the 14th day from courses does not disqualify the student unless the withdrawal takes the student out of good standing. This requirement applies to existing student workers as well.
The regular student employee is able to work up to 20 hours per week while attending classes. A student may never work more than 20 hours per week. There are no exceptions to the 20 hour rule.
Effective Jan 1, 2012, all student employees will be paid a single wage -- $7.70 per hour. This will be in compliance with the Ohio Minimum Wage increase as of Jan. 1, 2012.
How to Find Student Employment - the Hiring Process
- Students can view available positions by logging into the JobLink website using the username and password of "visitor". Click the "View Saved Search" link to view the three types of Student Employment (On Campus Regular, On Campus Work Study and Off Campus General). It may be beneficial to students with Pell grants to determine their Work Study status and award. Work Study status can be determined by visiting the Financial Aid office and asking at the front counter.
- After finding an position you have interest in, follow the prescribed method of application contained in the Position description to apply for the position. Usually completing and submitting a Student Employment Application that can be obtained online or in our office (Bldg. 10, Room 10312)
- After being interviewed and offered a position, the emploer will complete an "Intent to Hire" form. After submitting the "Intent to Hire" form to Human Resources, a background check will be performed on the applicant. The background check takes approximately two weeks. Applicants who pass the backgropund check will complete the Payroll Notification Packet that will be provided by the supervisor. The completed forms will be submitted to Human Resources for final processing.
Student Employee Responsibilities
- Maintain required 6 credit hour enrollment
- Report to work at the designated time, maintain efficient job performance
- Maintain positive customer-centric attitude
- Follow dress code of hiring office
- Work no more than 20 hours per week during school semester.
- Notify supervisor if illness or circumstance will prevent you from attending work or leaving early. Any change in work schedule must be approved by supervisor.
Payroll & Timesheets
Pay checks are distributed on the 15th and 30/31st of the month. Time sheets must be submitted by the required date (refer to Payroll Calendar) and will be provided or made accessible by the employee supervisor. The completed time sheet will be returned to that supervisor for verification and signature before submission to the appropriate office. For Regular student employees completed timesheets are sent to the Payroll office; for Workstudy student employees, completed timesheets are sent to Financial Aid office.
Termination of Employment
Student employment is "at will". In other words, student employees are free to quit whenever they wish and the college is not restricted from terminating a student employee at any time as well.
Sinclair Community College
Room 10312, 444 West Third Street
Dayton, OH 45402
P:(937) 512-2772 | F:(937) 512-2226