Pharmacy Technician PHT.S.CRT
One-year Technical Certificate - 33 - 34 Credit Hours
Division: Health Sciences
Department: Allied Health
Effective as of Fall 2018
What is the program about?
This program prepares individuals to perform the technical and specialized skills of a pharmacy technician within retail, mail-order, hospital, nursing homes and home health care settings. The program is designed to develop knowledge and understanding of basic pharmacology, maintenance of patient records, drug-product preparation and distribution and record-keeping. A portion of this program will involve 80 hours of simulated lab and 210 hours of directed practice within a pharmacy. A state and federal background check will be required prior to starting the directed practice. A grade of "C" or better is required in all courses to complete the program. A grade of "B" or better is required in the pharmacy technician core courses to be eligible to participate in the directed practice. Upon completion of the program students may take the national Pharmacy Technician Certification Board Examination.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the scope of pharmacy practice, including sterile compounding, nonsterile compounding, beginning pharmacology and pharmaceutical calculations.
- Demonstrate professionalism including knowledge of cultural competence, self-care and communication skills.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the scope of pharmacy practice including hands-on practical experience at a pharmacy.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the scope of pharmacy practice including handling of sterile products, inventory control and repackaging.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the scope of pharmacy practice including legal aspects of drug dispensing and specific role of the pharmacy technicians.
Pharmacy Technician in retail and mail-order settings, hospital pharmacies, nursing homes and home health care sites.
By April 2019 all pharmacy technicians must have completed an accredited program and register with the State of Ohio.
- View the Master Syllabus - View the Course Schedule
Program Accreditation Information
We will be applying for ASHP accreditation by Fall 2018.
This information is for planning purposes only. Sinclair College will make every effort to offer curriculum listed above but reserves the right to change, add and cancel curriculum offerings for unforeseen circumstances. View current catalog