One-year Technical Certificate - 36 Credit Hours
Division: Business and Public Services
Department: Criminal Justice Science
Effective as of Fall 2019
What is the program about?
This certificate is designed to provide the student with the basics necessary for entry-level employment in a correctional environment. All courses can be applied to the Associate of Applied Science Degree in Corrections, if desired.
- Communicate and interview effectively both verbally and nonverbally with clients and the public.
- Empathize with the client and understand the relationships of the law violator and the community.
- Observe behavior and listen to personal recitation of clients, record salient information in simple and accurate description form and provide documentation and testimony of the same.
- Demonstrate the entry-level role of corrections at the various levels of government within the state.
- Explain the legal process, the justice system and its applications within the correctional and legal community.
- Work effectively with the caseworker using various methods to treat and diagnose behavior.
- Explain the basic rights of the offender within the Ohio legal system.
- Demonstrate a knowledge base of the various agencies and their duties, located within the college service district.
- Describe the social and psychological factors affecting the client and demonstrate alternative methods of handling personal and societal choices relating to future goals for the client.
There are openings in local and state correctional facilities, local nonprofit agencies providing correctional services, as well as employment through private prison corporations.
Potential articulation agreements include: Ashland University, Ohio University, Miami University, and Franklin University
Important information about the educational debt, earnings, and completion rates of students who attended this program: View the Gainful Employment Information
- View the Master Syllabus - View the Course Schedule
This information is for planning purposes only. Sinclair College will make every effort to offer curriculum listed above but reserves the right to change, add and cancel curriculum offerings for unforeseen circumstances. View current catalog