What is Young Scholars?
Young Scholars, Sinclair’s first precollege program, prepares first-generation students within Montgomery County, Ohio, to be academically ready to pursue higher education.
Young Scholars meets 12 Saturdays per year from 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Saturday workshops focus on academic preparation for high school completion and college entry, career and leadership development, and college preparation seminars. Students are also required to attend other events and orientations as requested with a parent/guardian or mentor.
Young Scholars Financial Aid Package
Upon completion of Young Scholars and high school graduation, students are eligible to enroll at Sinclair Community College as a Young Scholars, Phase II student and receive a Financial Aid Package covering tuition/fees and up to $500 in books per semester for three consecutive years. Participants who enroll after 8th grade will receive a prorated package based on their program entry date.
- Applicant must be in grades 8 through 11 to apply for enrollment and be willing to make a commitment through 12th grade.
- Parent/guardian(s) cannot be a college graduate with an associate and/or bachelor's degree.
- Applicant must reside and attend school in Montgomery County, Ohio.
- Parent/guardian permission must be obtained to participate in the Young Scholars program.
- Applicant must have a grade point average of 2.0 or higher.
Whom does it serve?
Young Scholars serves Montgomery County, Ohio, students in grades 8 through 12.
How to Apply
- Download application from www.sinclair.edu/precollege/ysp/application.
- Submit completed application form to the Young Scholars Program, School & Community Partnerships, Building 12, Room 12331, along with a copy of the end of the year grade 7 report card that proves the applicant is promoted to grade 8
- Complete and submit reference forms
- Submit a one-page, typed or well-written essay by applicant on the following topic: “Why I want to be a Young Scholar.” This essay should describe the applicant’s desire to become a Young Scholar, his or her educational/career goals, and the skills he or she hopes to learn through this five-year experience.
Locations of Services
Building 6, Room 6122
Hours of Operation
Young Scholars Saturday workshops are held on select dates from 9:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. The Young Scholars office is open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Office hours are subject to change based on program demands.
Kates Brommeland, Coordinator
Linda Johnson, Program Aide
Raycine Butler, Clerical Support
Young Scholars Program | School & Community Partnerships
Sinclair Community College, Dayton Campus
Building 6, Room 6122
444 West Third Street
Dayton, OH 45402-1460
P: 937-512–3730 | F: 937-512–3310