Academic Resource Center (ARC)
About the ARC
As an additional function of the Enrollment Center, the Academic Resource Center (ARC) provides students with math and English remediation in preparation for placement tests. A student may choose to utilize the ARC after taking the placement test, or may be referred by the Testing Center or their Academic Advisor.
Who should utilize the ARC?
- Individuals preparing to retake the Sinclair placement tests
- Students preparing for the TEAS and ESL Listening Test
- Individuals preparing for the GED prior to enrolling at Sinclair
Test Prep Resources:
- ESL / Listening: The ARC provides an ESL Reading and Writing Skills curriculum through the PLATO software. In the Reading curriculum, students study a variety of reading strategies and apply techniques to improve vocabulary skills.
- TEAS: The ARC provides a TEAS curriculum through the PLATO software. This curriculum provides testing and remediation in the four subject areas covered by the TEAS exam (English, Reading, Science and Math). PLATO also includes a timing feature which helps students manage the timed element of the exam.
- WritePlacer: The ARC provides writing skills development through the PLATO software and through assistance from ARC facilitators. Upon completion of the curriculum and the essay remediation, students receive a voucher from the ARC facilitator to cover the Write Placer retake fee (value $15).
- ALEKS Math: The ARC provides assistance to students who have taken the ALEKS placement assessment at least one time. Students may work through the ALEKS Prep and Learning Modules in the ARC lab and receive additional assistance with math concepts.
Location and Hours of Operation *please see temporary location change noted above
- Library (upper level)—Room 7001
- Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
In collaboration with Miami Valley CTC, GED courses are held in the ARC for those preparing to enroll at Sinclair. For more information please contact Project Read at 937-461-7323.
Sue Shira, ARC Facilitator | firstname.lastname@example.org | 937-512-3495
Diane Murphy, ARC Facilitator | email@example.com | 937-512-3495