SWK 2207 Cultural Competence in a Diverse World
Learn skills to be effective with multicultural clients. Develop an understanding of theories, which will enhance competence in terms of behaviors, attitudes and policies that come together to assist professionals to work effectively in cross-cultural situations. Strong emphasis on self-awareness of personal cultural values and beliefs to increase appreciation of multicultural identities.
Division: Liberal Arts, Communication and Social Sciences
Department: Social Work
Repeatable Credit: No
Offered Online: No
Prereqs: DEV 0015
- Demonstrate ability to align social work standards for cultural competence to own values.
- Demonstrate knowledge of diverse groups in the United States.
- Describe history and social location of diverse groups and understand past and present forms of oppression and discrimination that impact ability to meet basic needs and quality of life.
- Articulate importance of cultural competence within the profession and be self-aware of level of competence and areas that need continued improvement.
- Discuss and articulate strategies for advocacy to advance social and economic justice and evaluate the effectiveness of using these strategies.
- Demonstrate writing and oral skills commensurate to the practice of social work.
Credit Hours: 3
Classroom Hours: 3