EDU 1100 Introduction to Education
Introduction to the teaching profession. A variety of experiences to facilitate exploration of the role of school and its relationship to society. The knowledge, skills, dispositions and performances necessary for an individual to become an effective teacher.
Division: Liberal Arts, Communication and Social Sciences
Repeatable Credit: No
Offered Online: No
- Describe the process of professionalization and the roles of instruction in the career field of education.
- Describe a variety of curriculum theories and instructinal methodologies including at least one established framework for teaching, i.e. NCATE approved college model.
- Describe legal and organizational context within which schools and teachers operate.
- Describe the purposes of of education historically and currently for individuals, groups, and society.
- Describe the components and multiple categories of diversity. Identify the influence of diversity on teacher education.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of standards based education including national and state professional standards and state academic content standards (including INTASC, PRAXIS III, SPA'S, NCATE/TEAC).
Credit Hours: 3
Classroom Hours: 3