Problem of the Week #12:
Amanda's family loves coffee. One morning each member of Amanda's family drank an 8-ounce mixture of coffee and nonfat soymilk (one of the family members is lactose intolerant). The amounts of coffee and milk varied from cup to cup, but were never zero. If Amanda drank one quarter of the total amount of milk and one sixth the total amount of coffee, how many people are in the family?
Solutions are due at or before noon, Friday December 6. This will be the last problem for the semester.
- This contest is open to any students who are registered at Sinclair for the Fall semester of 2013. It is expected that students will work alone on the problems.
- Weekly problems will be posted on the board in the Math Help Room Monday mornings. Solutions to a problem will appear there the following week.
- All answers must be substantiated by hand for credit (show all work). Programs written to solve the problem by computer or calculator will not count as sufficient justification.
- Submit solutions to Susan Harris in room 1-331. You may slip them under her office door anytime before Friday at noon.
- Names of all students who submit correct solutions on time will be posted by the following week.
- A prize of $50 will be awarded to the student who correctly answers the most problems for the quarter, and a prize of $25 will be awarded to the second place winner.