Problem of the Week #13: (Fall, 2014, for the week of 11/17/2014 – 11/21/2014)
Let the equation tan2(x) - 9tan(x) + 1 = 0 be given. Without using a calculator, find the SUM of all solutions x that are between x = 0 and x = 2π radians. Give exact, simplified solutions as a multiple of π. Clearly show the mathematical process that you use to find your solution.
Solutions are due at or before noon, Friday November 21.
- This contest is open to any students who are registered at Sinclair for the Fall semester of 2014. It is expected that students will work alone on the problems.
- Weekly problems will be posted on the board in the Math Help Room Monday mornings. Solutions to a problem will appear there the following week.
- All answers must be substantiated by hand for credit (show all work). Programs written to solve the problem by computer or calculator will not count as sufficient justification.
- Submit solutions to Susan Harris in room 01-331. You may slip them under her office door anytime before Friday at noon.
- Names of all students who submit correct solutions on time will be posted by the following week.
- A prize of $50 will be awarded to the student who correctly answers the most problems for the quarter, and a prize of $25 will be awarded to the second place winner.