Problem of the Week #10: (Fall, 2014, for the week of 10/20/2014 – 10/24/2014)
Find all integer solutions to the equation
(x2 - x - 1)(x + 2) = 1
Clearly show the mathematical process that you use to find your solution.
Solutions are due at or before noon, Friday October 24.
- This contest is open to any students who are registered at Sinclair for the Fall semester of 2014. It is expected that students will work alone on the problems.
- Weekly problems will be posted on the board in the Math Help Room Monday mornings. Solutions to a problem will appear there the following week.
- All answers must be substantiated by hand for credit (show all work). Programs written to solve the problem by computer or calculator will not count as sufficient justification.
- Submit solutions to Susan Harris in room 01-331. You may slip them under her office door anytime before Friday at noon.
- Names of all students who submit correct solutions on time will be posted by the following week.
- A prize of $50 will be awarded to the student who correctly answers the most problems for the quarter, and a prize of $25 will be awarded to the second place winner.