Adolescence is a time of many physical and psychological changes and a time of searching for an identity as an independent adult. Although they are unusual in American culture, initiation ceremonies for adolescents have existed in most of the world’s societies throughout history. What purposes do these rites serve? Do they help adolescents in their search for an identity? Explore the phenomenon of adolescent initiation rites in this exercise.
All materials for this activity are in PDF version and you will need the Adobe Reader to view the material. Click here if you have to download the Adobe Reader.
- Create a new document in Word and Save As (the complete name of the Activity.)
- At the top of the page type your full name, your course number and section, and your instructor's name.
- Type in the questions from the questionnaire along with your answers, and Save.
- Open a new Mail Message in e-mail.
- In the Subject line type in the complete name of the Activity. In the body of the e-mail type your full name, your course number and section, and your instructor's name.
- Insert the file as an attachment and send to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please send one (1) activity per email and be sure to include all requested information to receive credit for this activity.