Sinclair's Music Department offers a quality and varied choir experience for music majors, non-music majors, community singers, and our greater Dayton area audience. Singers have the opportunity to experience varied choral ensemble experiences, styles, languages, and a wide choral repertoire to enhance students’ lives and future professional music careers. Many students elect to simultaneously perform in more than one choir. Musical backgrounds and experiences of choral members vary.
Any person who wants to sing in the Sinclair choirs needs to pass an annual audition with the corresponding director and then receive permission from the department to register for the class.
To secure an appointment for an audition in preparation for Fall Semester, please contact the Music Department Office. For Spring Semester, contact the director directly:
Prof. Nolan W. Long at 937-512-4057 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Prof. Daniel Greene at 937-512-2341 or email@example.com
Choral auditions consist of "My Country ‘Tis of Thee" (with Prof. Long) or “Amazing Grace” (with Prof. Greene), vocal exercises, sight singing, pitch matching, and an interview. Please print out the Choral Audition Form, complete the top half of it, and bring it to your audition.
The Sinclair Music Department offers five choirs and the Vocal Performance Class:
- Chorale: MUS 1131. 1 credit. SATB. Tuesdays 7:00-9:30 p.m. A larger choral ensemble that performs significant choral repertoire, folk music and spirituals from many time periods and in a variety of languages. Required for four semesters for voice majors, keyboard majors, and some guitar majors. Directed by Professor Nolan Long.
- Chamber Choir: MUS 1133. 1 credit. SATB. Tuesdays/Thursdays 2:00-3:15 p.m. A selective small choral ensemble that performs classical choral music, folk music, and spirituals for the smaller chamber choir from a variety of time periods in various languages. Directed by Professor Nolan Long.
- Contemporary Gospel Ensemble: MUS 1139. 1 credit. Mixed voices. Mondays 7:00-9:30 p.m. An auditioned choral ensemble that performs African-American contemporary church music in concert. Directed by Professor Daniel Greene.
- Women’s Ensemble: MUS 1135. 1 credit. SSAA. Tuesdays/Thursdays 12:30-1:45 p.m. A women’s choral ensemble that performs a variety of choral musical styles. Directed by Professor Nolan Long.
- Vocal Performance Class: MUS 2251. 1 credit. Mondays 3:30-5:00. More advanced vocalists perform scenes from operas and musical theater. Directed by Professor Daniel Greene.