The Early Years 1887 - 1929

 

1887

Dedication of new YMCA building at 32 East Fourth Street. (Formerly, the Y rented rooms in the Journal Building at 65 Main Street across from the Victoria)

 

David Sinclair begins the Evening Educational Program of the Dayton YMCA. Courses offered in Bookkeeping and Mechanical Drawing.

1891

First diploma awarded.

1902

David Sinclair dies on vacation in Billings, Montana, September 25.

1903

Platt R. Lawton appointed first trained Educational Director.

1906

First black student is graduated.

1908

School moves with the YMCA to the new building at Third and Ludlow Streets. (301 West Third Street)

1910

Business Administration courses offered.

1921

Americanization classes established.

1921

Dayton YMCA School of Commerce and Finance begun.

1923

Dayton YMCA Technical School organized.

 

First four-year degrees offered by Tech School.

1925

YMCA Law School established.

1926

Dayton YMCA Office Training School begun.

1927

Wittenberg-Dayton YMCA School of Liberal Arts started.

1928

First woman is graduated.

1929

YMCA and School move to new building at 117 West Monument Avenue.