For Students Who Live within 60 Miles of Sinclair's Dayton Campus
- Step 1: Read and agree to the Proficiency Testing Policies on the Proficiency Testing page.
- Step 2: Find out if a test is available. Check the Proficiency Test Availability by Course list to see courses available for proficiency tests. To inquire about a particular course that is not on the list, contact Prior Learning Assessment Programs at 937-512-2800.
- Step 3: Contact your academic advisor to confirm suitability for testing.
- Step 4: Complete the required paperwork. Both forms (Application to Test and Statement of Policies) are available in Room 11346.
- Step 5: Pay the required fee. Costs for proficiency tests vary depending on the credit hours of the course and the time it takes to administer and evaluate the test. Fees range from $65 to $110 and above. Please note that the test fee is nonrefundable.
- Step 6: Schedule an appointment with the evaluator and take the test. You will be notified with the name and contact information of the Sinclair faculty member who will administer the test. It is your responsibility to make arrangements for the test.
- Step 7: Notification of grade. Grading and posting may take up to two weeks. If you receive a passing grade (C or better), it can be viewed on Web Advisor. If you do not receive a passing grade, you will receive a letter from Prior Learning Assessment. Your grade is posted to the semester that your test was taken and graded.
Click here for printable view of the Proficiency Testing steps.
- A Master Syllabus for each course can be found through the Online Schedule Planner
- Prior Learning Assessment
- email: email@example.com