Sinclair faculty have developed proficiency exams for many courses. A learner who can demonstrate knowledge and ability in a particular subject area may earn credit for specific Sinclair courses without enrolling in them. This is done by taking an examination or by demonstrating a level of skill evaluated by the appropriate academic department. The fee for testing varies from course to course; they range from $65 to $110 and above per exam.
- A proficiency exam cannot be taken until a student is officially admitted to Sinclair Community College.
- Credit by exam requires departmental approval.
- A student must have completed any course prerequisites before taking any proficiency exam.
- A proficiency exam can be taken only once for any course.
- A proficiency exam cannot be taken for a course in which you are currently registered.
- A grade of A, B, C, D or F will be awarded for proficiency exams; however, only an A, B, or C grade will be recorded on the student's transcript.
- No more than 30 credit hours may be earned through proficiency exams, articulated credit, AP, CLEP, DSST, ACE credit and applied toward degree requirements.
- Credits earned by proficiency exams do not apply toward the college residency requirements.
- Proficiency exam fees are non-refundable.
- Proficency exam grades will be recorded on the student's transcript with a notation that clearly indicates grades were earned as a result of taking a proficiency exam. For example: A#
- Find out if a test is available. Click this link http://cmt.sinclair.edu/reports/proficiency/dspResults.cfm to view a list of courses available for proficiency exams. Contact Prior Learning Assessment Programs at 512-2800 to inquire about a particular course that is not on the list.
- Complete the required paperwork. Both forms (Application to Test and Statement of Policies) are available in Room 11346.
- Pay the required fee. Costs for proficiency exams vary depending on the credit hours of the course and the time it takes to administer and evaluate the exam. Fees range from $65 to $110 and above. Please note that the exam fee is non-refundable.
- Contact the evaluator and set up the exam. You will be notified with the name and contact information of the Sinclair faculty member who will administer the exam. It is the student's responsibility to make arrangements for the test.
- Notification of grade. Grading and posting may take up to two weeks. If you receive a passing grade (C or better), it can be viewed on Web Advisor. If you do not receive a passing grade (C or better), you will receive a letter from Prior Learning Assessment. Grade is posted to semester that test is taken and graded.